- repelling of aerospace threats and protecting posts of state management and military control, groupings of troops (forces), administrative and political centers, industrial and economical region, most important economics and infrastructure facilities of the country from aerospace strikes of the enemy;
- engaging facilities and troops of the enemy as with common as with nuclear means of destruction;
- aviation support of troops from other services and branches;
- engaging ballistic missile warheads of the potential enemy attacking important state facilities;
- providing the highest command and control bodies with reliable information concerning ballistic missile launches and warning about missile attack;
- space facility observing and detecting threats against Russia happening as in as from space, meeting such threats;
- launching spacecraft, controlling military and dual-purpose satellite systems during the flight and operating one of them in order to provide the troops with necessary information.
- proper maintenance service of the military and dual-purpose satellite systems, launching and controlling complexes, and other tasks.
Air ForceThe Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of 16 July 1997 determined formation of a new Service of the Armed Forces (AF) on the base of the previous Air Defence Force (Russian abb. ADF) and Air Force (Russian abb. AiF). This required from their Main Staffs during the transitional period intense activity aimed at perfoming structural changes in organization of the control system and the groups of troops being created.
By March 1, 1998 the Administration of the Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force and the Main Staff of the Air Force were formed on the base of control bodies of the Air Defence Force and the Air Force, and the Air Defence Force and the Air Force were merged into a new Service of the Russian Armed Forces – the Air Force.
The Air Force of the Russian Federation is designed for:
- repulsing aggression in the aerospace sphere and protecting from air attacks the control points of the highest state and military control, administrative-and-political centres, industrial-and-economic areas, the most important economic facilities, the country’s infrastructure and the groups of troops (forces);
- destruction of enemy objects and troops using both conventional and nuclear ordnance;
- providing combat troops of other armies and armed services for air support.
According to its mission and tasks the Air Force’s Aviation is divided into the long-range, front-line, military transport and army aviation, which in turn can be composed of the bomber, attack, fighter, reconnaissance, transport and special aircraft units. The basis of the Air Force’s combat strength is presented with air bases and brigades of the Aerospace Defence.
Aerospace Defence ForcesSpace Forces perform a wide range of missions including:
- Monitoring space objects and identification of potential threats to the Russian Federation in space and from space, prevention of attacks as needed;
- Carrying out spacecraft launches and placing into orbit, controlling satellite systems, including Integrated ones (intended to be used for both military and civilian purposes) in flight, and using separate ones towards providing the Russian Federation Armed Forces with the necessary information;
- Maintaining both military and integrated satellite systems with launching installations and assets of control in the workable order, and a number of other tasks.